Friday, March 27, 2009
Achilles
The Iliad ends with Achilles returning Hector's body to his father, an act which essentially humanizes him as it cures him of his excessive pride or hubris. We know that Achilles will eventually be killed by Paris, who was a complete coward, and many consider this to be his ate, or ruin caused by hubris. But because Achilles was reformed of his former prideful self can it really be said that he suffered ate and was therefore ruined?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I don't think so. I think in the end Achilles was saved when he returned the body to Hector's father.
ReplyDeleteI think it's very ironic and tragic that the greatest warrior of all time got killed by the greatest coward. However, i do not think it's his ate because i think his punishment for being so arrogant was the death of his dear friend Patroclus. The reason i think that is because at first Achilles did not want to fight at all and there was nothing any one could say to get him to fight. But he himself willingly went to fight to take revenge for his friend. And by doing that, he helped the Greeks and Agamemnon which he didn't want to do. I think his death was something that was destined to happen no matter what. Just as Cory mentioned earlier, Achilles got rid of his hubris by showing mercy to Menalaus by returning Hector's body.
ReplyDeleteI believe it was a little bit of both Fate and revenge of the cosmos for his arrogance. Returning Hector's body made ammends but I don't see how that alone could cleanse Achilles of a lifetime of arrogance. So throughout the story his personal losses did two things. They made him pay and they pushed him toward the end of the story were he fights the battle he doesn't want to and helps the Greeks. The gods obviously had their hand on him and I think they were playing with him and using them as his game piece all at the same time.
ReplyDeleteThere can be a lot of things that could the reason behind Achilles downfall. It could be revenge, stubbornness, and/or selfishness. Any and all of these bring Achilles down, but I don't think hate is the force behind it.
ReplyDeleteI think it is his last act of not only humanizing himself, but trying to redeem himself. I know Achilles was a good god in the Greek culture, but the things that he does throughout the war are not a good reflection upon him.
ReplyDeleteAchilles' act of returning Hector's body was, in my opinion, not enough to completely redeem himself. I feel that defiling Hector's corpse maybe salved the pain and anger of losing Patrocles -- however, in the end, Achilles had found what he had been searching for -- a Warrior that he felt could truly be his equal. So while he does show an act of human compassion, it is too little too late for Achilles.
ReplyDelete